Econ520 - Advanced Macroeconomic Theory¶
Spring 2023 - Prof. Lutz Hendricks¶
- Panels on career options for econ majors, Jan 18 to Feb 23
- May 8, 4pm. You will have 3 hours, but I expect that you will need less time than that.
- Material covered: TBA
Mar 2 (in class). Midterm answer key
Material covered: up to (not including) open economy.
Important: you must have passed Intermediate Macroeconomics to register for this course.
- Important: students who do not attend the first week of classes will be dropped from the course. This is department policy. Please contact me if you need an accomodation.
- Slides will be updated as the course progresses.
- Tips for taking exams
Schedule of Classes¶
- Jan-10 (Tue): Introduction, IS-LM model (each of these links leads to the slides that were used in class)
- Jan-12 (Thu): IS/LM Equilibrium
- Jan-17 (Tue): IS/LM Equilibrium (cont.)
- Jan-19 (Thu): IS/LM Monetary Policy
- Jan-24 (Tue): Labor market
- Jan-26 (Thu): Labor market (continued)
- Jan-31 (Tue): The term paper: We discuss how to find topics and how to write. We discuss what makes a good topic.
- Feb-2 (Thu): AS-AD model
- Feb-7 (Tue): AS-AD model (continued)
- Feb-9 (Thu): AS-AD model (continued)
- Feb-14 (Tue): Wellness day Term paper topic decisions are due.
- Feb-16 (Thu): Inflation and unemployment
- Feb-21 (Tue): Inflation expectations and monetary policy
- Feb-23 (Thu): Fiscal Deficits
- Feb-28 (Tue): Trade deficits
- Mar-2 (Thu): Midterm
- Mar-7 (Tue): Trade deficits (contd.)
- Mar-9 (Thu): IS-LM model Term paper draft of draft is due.
- Mar-14 (Tue): Spring break
- Mar-16 (Thu): Spring break
- Mar-21 (Tue): IS-LM floating exchange rate
- Mar-23 (Thu): IS-LM fixed exchange rate
- Mar-28 (Tue): AS-AD model,
- Mar-30 (Thu): Policy analysis Term paper draft is due.
- Apr-4 (Tue): Costs and benefits of international trade
- Apr-6 (Thu): Wellness day
- Apr-11 (Tue): Growth facts
- Apr-13 (Thu): Methods for identifying causes and effects
- Apr-18 (Tue): Institutions
- Apr-20 (Thu): Solow model Term paper (final version) is due.
- Apr-25 (Tue): Solow diagram
- Apr-27 (Thu): Solow Applications.
- Apr-27 (Thu): Last class. Model summary. All questions answered! (or almost all...).