Econ520 - Advanced Macroeconomic Theory¶
Fall 2022 - Prof. Lutz Hendricks¶
Waitlist for interested students: The class is full (as always). You may sign up for a waitlist.
- Final exam:
- Dec-6, noon. You will have 3 hours, but I expect that you will need less time than that.
- Material covered: TBA
- Oct-6 (in class).
- Material covered: TBA
Important: you must have passed Intermediate Macroeconomics to register for this course.
- Important: students who do not attend the first week of classes will be dropped from the course. This is department policy. Please contact me if you need an accomodation.
- Slides will be updated as the course progresses.
- Tips for taking exams
Schedule of Classes¶
- Aug-16 (Tue): Introduction, IS-LM model (each of these links leads to the slides that were used in class)
- Aug-18 (Thu): IS/LM Equilibrium, PP (
PPmeans "practice problems"; for your enjoyment; not to be handed in)
- Aug-23 (Tue): IS/LM Equilibrium (cont.)
- Aug-25 (Thu): IS/LM Monetary Policy
- Aug-30 (Tue): Fiscal Deficits, PP
- Sep-1 (Thu): The term paper: We discuss how to find topics and how to write. We discuss each team's topic proposal.
- Sep-6 (Tue): Wellness day
- Sep-8 (Thu): Labor market, PP
- Sep-13 (Tue): Labor market (continued)
- Sep-15 (Thu): AS-AD model, PP (covers Phillips Curve)
- Sep-20 (Tue): AS-AD model (continued)
- Sep-22 (Thu): AS-AD model (continued)
- Sep-27 (Tue): Inflation and unemployment, Inflation expectations and monetary policy, PP
- Sep-29 (Thu): Trade deficits, PP
- Oct-4 (Tue): IS-LM model, PP, IS-LM floating exchange rate
- Oct-6 (Thu): Midterm
- Oct-11 (Tue): IS-LM fixed exchange rate
- Oct-13 (Thu): AS-AD model,
- Oct-18 (Tue): Policy analysis, PP
- Oct-20 (Thu): Fall break
- Oct-25 (Tue): Costs and benefits of international trade
- Oct-27 (Thu): Inequality facts, Earnings inequality
- Nov-1 (Tue): The top 1 percent, Intergenerational mobility
- Nov-3 (Thu): Growth facts
- Nov-8 (Tue): Methods for identifying causes and effects,
- Nov-10 (Thu): Institutions, PP
- Nov-15 (Tue): Solow model, Solow diagram, PP
- Nov-17 (Thu): Solow Applications. In preparation, please read How to prevent the end of economic growth
- Nov-22 (Tue): Growth and ideas
- Nov-24 (Thu): Thanksgiving
- Nov-29 (Tue): Romer model, PP
- Nov-29 (Tue): Policy implications
- Nov-29 (Tue): Last class. Model summary. All questions answered! (or almost all...).